Friday, August 4, 2017

Inside the gun violence epidemic on Chicago's South Side

CBS News ^ | 8/4/2017 | Staff 

Chicago faces an epidemic of gun violence. This year alone, more than 2,100 people have been shot, more than 400 killed.(snip)

Young men on the city's south and west sides told CBS News how easy it is to get illegal guns, and why many never leave their homes without one.
"I know people who can't walk from they house to the store without a gun," said Aaron Murph. "Because people getting killed left and right. It's sad."
"I got shot twice and I could have been gone but I'm still here so, that scar, that's with me, so," said Tyshaun Grant. "It's hell on earth."(snip)
"I'm just doin' this s*** for survival, bro, until I can pull my family and myself in a better predicament to what I need to do," one member said. "We just trying to keep ourselves protected."
Many crews told us they would rather risk the police catching them with a gun than have their rival find them without one.
Asked where he got his .40-caliber gun, he said, "Off the streets, people sell 'em."
"Just like that, that's how easy it is," another man said.
"It's worth it for you to keep these guns?" Diaz asked.
"We felons. You know what I'm saying? Ain't nobody gonna give us no jobs. The cops don't give a f*** about us."
But when asked if innocent people dying by those bullets is worth it, they both said, "No."
"At the end of the day, it ain't worth it. But you got 'em motherf*****s wanna go through a drive by, you know what I'm saying? And some innocent, little sister get shot. Guess what? Them and them guys coming back in. That's how the confrontation is going to keep going."
(Excerpt) Read more at cbsnews.com ...

T-Shirt