Thursday, January 10, 2013

What Defines an American?

 by conserv8

I see the turmoil that is sweeping the great nation to the south of me and was moved to compose a web page voicing concern. I got to the point where I was about to voice my opinion of what an American is. I now think it might be better if members of this site did so themselves.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
When I was in my seventh year my family moved to a small town in Westphalia Germany as part of the post-war Canadian contingent. I attended an on-base elementary school that was also attended by several American children. At the start of each morning the classes would be regaled by the obligatory O' Canada and then we would stand and watch while the several American children faced their flag, placed their hand over their heart and proudly voiced the Pledge of Allegiance. Some of us thought that was very cool.
During the last year of the four-year rotation my family traveled to the sizable American Base located in the city of Frankfurt. They had a PX, a very large department store. It was the first time I had ever encountered such a sight. There were isles and isles of shelves filled with almost every conceivable item. I was in no little state of wonder and awe. After no considerable amount of time, there was an announcement over the PA system that I payed no attention to, that to my amazement had a great and drastic effect upon the people all around me. I saw men and women crying, consoling each other, the place was in a turmoil. And then every body was ushered out and the PX was closed.
That was the day that John F. Kennedy was assassinated.
My brother and I were regulated to silence while my mother and fathers' attention was glued to information coming out of the car radio the whole trip home with the only explanation that "something of world importance has occurred." I recall sitting there and wondering why and how one person could have such a profound effect upon so many others. What was it that provoked such a sense of purpose and unity?
Americans. Who are those people?
What is an American? What defines them?

T-Shirt