Sunday, February 12, 2017

Lt. General Hal Moore....An Amazing American Hero

Stripes ^ | 11 Feb 2017 | Iceflyer 

I am greatly saddened today at the passing of Lt General Hal Moore. I would never have thought that in my Air Force career that it would be an Army General who would leave the greatest impression on me. This post is to reflect on that impact.
In 2006 I attended Air Command and Staff College. After interviewing with 75+ others for 17 coveted slots on the Gathering of Eagles team I was selected to be one and could not believe my fortune. Through several weeks of work as a team we had selected our “Eagles” to come to the school in our last two weeks and be the capstone event to our year. My Eagle was LtGen Hal Moore.
I was more fortunate than the others in that my Eagle lived but an hour away. Unlike the others who had little one-on-one time with their Eagle I would be at General Moore’s home many times spending hours with him. I was recorded interviewing him in his home among his many amazing memorabilia and cherished family items. I got to know a lot about his life and his hero’s including his greatest one, his wife. Humble in spirit and temperament yet unafraid and bold. He would joke with me, tell me amazing stories and encourage me to never give in or up no matter what the situation.
He loved his wife and family most dearly, next to that he loved the men he led. He never left a single one of them behind. He faced grave danger many a time to make sure to keep that promise. One of his greatest friends and fellow soldiers was Sergeant Major Basil Plumley. He was played by Sam Elliot in the movie and I promise you, that even when I met SgtMaj Plumley as an elder man I feared him as those Lieutenants did in the movie. I even have a most special moment with him as I was interviewing General Moore on stage and we surprised the audience with another man walking out…I said “Ladies and Gentlemen, Sgt Major Basil Plumley….” And while they all leapt to the feet to applaud this, another amazing hero, the applause died down and I said “It’s a beautiful day Sgt Major!” To which he gleefully replied (albeit gruffly) “Who the hell are you the Got Danged weatherman?” It took a while for the laughter to die down.
I could spend hours talking about this amazing man, It was a most special time in my life and career. Now, General Moore goes home. To the God he so deeply believed in, to his wife who went ahead of him, and to be with the “troopers” whom he commanded.
God bless and keep the Moore family at the passing of this giant hero. May they know the love and gratitude of a grateful nation and the blessings of God.

T-Shirt