Tuesday, February 3, 2015

[Dem] Fla. lawmaker: Texas is a 'crazy state'!

The Hill ^ | February 2, 2015 | Cristina Marcos 

Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-Fla.) unequivocally declared Monday that Texas is a "crazy state" he never wants to live in, infuriating a Texas lawmaker.
Tensions flared between Hastings and Rep. Michael Burgess (R-Texas) during a House Rules Committee meeting to prepare a bill slated for a floor vote Tuesday to repeal ObamaCare.
Hastings showed disdain for Texas during a discussion about states' implementation of the 2010 healthcare overhaul and decisions over whether or not to participate in the exchanges.
"I don't know about in your state, which I think is a crazy state to begin with," Hastings told Burgess.
Burgess immediately took offense.
"The gentleman made a very defamatory statement about my state, and I will not stand here and listen to it," Burgess said. "As a member of Congress, I'm used to attacks and invective being tossed my way. That's part of the territory. But there is no reason at all to impugn the people, the governor of a state of this country. And I will await the gentleman's apology."
But Hastings refused to shy away from his comments and made it clear he won't apologize.
"Well fine, then you don't have to listen. You can leave if you choose. I told you what I think about Texas. I wouldn't live there for all the tea in China. And that's how I feel," Hastings said.
"You will wait until hell freezes over for me to say anything in an apology," Hastings said. "I would apologize to you if I was directing my comments to you. I was commenting about the state that you happen to be a resident of. So I will not apologize."
When asked about the incident after House floor votes later Monday evening, Burgess appeared visibly tense.
"I'm still really mad," Burgess told The Hill, refusing to discuss the dustup further.

T-Shirt