Townhall.com ^ | May 31, 2013 | David Limbaugh
Well, let's see. Obama promised to get the economy moving, greatly improve
our health care system and reduce its costs, give us the most transparent
government, and usher in a new era of bipartisanship and racial harmony.
Some 4 1/2 years into Obama's presidency, his economy is still as lethargic
as a basset hound, and we're seeing disastrous developments on Obamacare. A
smorgasbord of major scandals is unfolding, and we've got record levels of
partisan angst and heightened racial tensions stoked by this administration.
So many shocking stories are emerging that we probably miss half of them. Did
you see the Washington Post report about how Health and Human Services Secretary
Kathleen Sebelius personally asked health industry groups to contribute to
Enroll America, a pro-Obamacare front group that is, according to The Heritage
Foundation, working to "educate" the public about the law's supposed benefits?
Obama and his band of fellow liberal ideologues have an agenda of
fundamentally transforming America, and they're sticking to it -- no matter what
kind of problems it creates, corruption and lies it entails, or disharmony it
generates among Americans.
Perhaps this is another reason Obama never bothers to admit, much less
apologize for, his failures. In his mind, his agenda is moving forward and
that's what matters. The plethora of scandals and the myriad economic and health
care failures may be an annoyance to him, but in the end, he's getting his way.
If things don't change, we are moving rapidly toward statism overall and toward
a single-payer health insurance system. To paraphrase him, "it may take 15
years, but we'll get there."
Meanwhile, the "What, me worry?" president is, yet again, busy fundraising
and campaigning in his hometown of Chicago, insisting to his adoring die-hard
fans that "Washington is not broken" and that he could not be more eager for
Democrats to recapture control of the House in order to have Nancy Pelosi back
as speaker. Not only is Obama not contrite but he wants more authority.
Obama seemingly has endless time to play golf, take vacations and hopscotch
the United States on Air Force One to fundraise and campaign, but he's too busy
to know or even be bothered about an unfolding crisis in Benghazi, the
deliberate alteration of talking points to mislead the press and public about
the cause of the consulate attack, the selective targeting of conservative
groups by an unscrupulous Internal Revenue Service (which just so happened to do
his bidding in successfully suppressing Republican voter turnout), and the
criminal investigation of innocent journalists.
It's one thing for Obama not to be a details man, but how about a little
focus -- or even a superficial awareness -- on very serious matters?
What we are seeing from Obama (and his administration) is what we should
expect from a person who has been mostly a political agitator and activist for
his entire adult life, without any experience in rolling up his sleeves and
getting his hands dirty in actually solving the problems.
His style of governance is best-depicted by his frustrated utterance at the
failure of BP to plug the Gulf oil leak fast enough to suit him: "Just plug the
Obama doesn't really understand how business or even government works, but it
doesn't keep him from making specific promises he doesn't know he can keep.
He repeatedly asserted, unequivocally, that Obamacare would bend the cost
curve down and wouldn't infringe on religious liberty. He told us that if we
liked our insurance plan, we would be able to keep it.
Have you been reading the headlines lately? "Obamacare Is Driving Some
Doctors To Stop Taking Insurance Altogether." "In California, Obamacare to
Increase Individual Health Insurance Premiums by 64-146 Percent." "ObamaCare to
trigger health insurance cancellation notices." "Like your health care policy?
You may be losing it." "Obamacare's Liberty-Crushing Mandate in Court."
Could it be that the public is finally waking up and at least willing to
reconsider its foolish blindness to this administration? A new Quinnipiac
University poll finds that American voters say -- by a 76-17 percent margin,
including 63-30 percent among Democrats -- that a special prosecutor should be
appointed to investigate charges that the IRS targeted conservative groups.
Further, voters aren't keen on Attorney General Eric Holder's investigating
the matter himself, and he has only a 23-29 percent job approval rating. As
Holder is President Obama's alter ego, this is significant.
But what we've yet to see is Obama himself being held accountable for his
fraudulent promises, his policy failures and this staggering corruption.
Like it or not, these things are his doing. He is in charge; he is the one
who made the false promises; he established the policy goals that are to be
achieved at almost any cost; and he has created the climate leading to this
lawlessness. In the modern vernacular, this is on him.
The following are 25 signs that military veterans are being treated like absolute trash under the Obama administration…
1. The average claim for veteran benefits takes more than half a year to be processed.
2. The Department of Veterans Affairs has a backlog of more than half a million overdue claims for benefits that are at least 125 days old.
3. In 2009, the number of veterans that had been waiting for more than a year to have their benefits approved was 11,000. Today, that number has soared to 245,000.
4. Thousands upon thousands of military veterans that are waiting for their claims to be processed are dealing with absolutely horrible injuries…
5. At one VA hospital in Wisconsin, one military veteran with a broken jaw that was seeking treatment still had not had his jaw fixed after a month and a half.Of those who have sought VA care:• More than 1,600 of them lost a limb; many others lost fingers or toes.• At least 156 are blind, and thousands of others have impaired vision.• More than 177,000 have hearing loss, and more than 350,000 report tinnitus — noise or ringing in the ears.• Thousands are disfigured, as many as 200 of them so badly that they may need face transplants. One-quarter of battlefield injuries requiring evacuation included wounds to the face or jaw, one study found.
6. Today, it takes military vets an average of seven months to get an appointment at a VA facility.
7. Many VA facilities are in absolutely horrific condition. A while back, ABC News conducted an investigation of conditions at VA facilities across the United States. What ABC News discovered was absolutely shocking. The following are just a few of the things that they found during the course of their investigation…
*Bathrooms filthy with what appeared to be human excrement
*Dirty linens from some patients mixed in with clean supplies
*Examining tables that had dried blood and medications still on them
*Equipment used to sterilize surgical instruments that had broken down
*Some patients were forced to beg for food and water
*Veterans that were neglected so badly that they developed horrific bedsores and dangerous infections
8. As I have written about previously, applying for veteran benefits is extremely complicated, and VA employees are actually paid bonuses for denying claims…
The truth is that we have made it extremely difficult for our military veterans to claim the benefits that we have promised them. Vets have to fill out an absurdly complicated 23 page application and if they make even one small mistake their applications can be stonewalled for years. The U.S. Veterans Administration actually has a policy under which they pay large bonuses to employees that meet certain application processing goals. This explains why approximately 70% of the claims submitted to the Veterans Administration are refused or sent back to be redone. In fact, using the Freedom of Information Act, one local NBC station was able to learn that $250,000 was paid in bonuses to VA employees who work inside the Poff Federal Building in Roanoke, Virginia in just one year alone.9. Large numbers of military veterans that legitimately should be getting benefits are having their claims denied by the federal government. Just check out the following example from a Veterans Today article…
In one case, we found a veteran with 40 percent of his brain removed found to be healthy and employable. He was also missing his right arm. The physician who examined him over looked the arm and failed to note the cognitive degeneration the traumatic brain injury had caused.10. Last year, more than 85,000 military veterans were treated for sexual abuse that they suffered while serving in the military. 40 percent of them were men.
11. According to a recent Defense Department survey, approximately 14,000 men in the U.S. military were sexually assaulted by other men during 2012.
12. According to the Washington Post, there is an epidemic of sexual assaults being committed by military recruiters. The Pentagon is pledging to do something about the problem…
“The secretary has made it clear that we will spare no effort to rid our military of sexual abuse,” said George Little, the Pentagon press secretary. “The fact that there have been problems of sexual abuse during the recruiting process is simply intolerable.”13. The number of active members of the U.S. military that are killing themselves now exceeds the number that are dying on the battlefield.
14. Since the beginning of the Iraq War, twice as many members of the Texas National Guard have killed themselves as have been killed in combat.
15. According to one recent study, 22 military veterans kill themselves in the United States every single day.
16. At this point, combat veterans account for about 20 percent of all suicides in the United States.
17. The unemployment rate for military veterans is significantly higher than for the population as a whole. This is especially true for younger veterans.
18. On any given night, approximately 200,000 military veterans are homeless in the United States.
19. All over America, monuments that honor military veterans are crumbling and falling apart. For much more on this, please see this article.
20. Under the Obama administration, many military veterans have had to pay to have their medals shipped to them. For example, one soldier actually had to pay a 21 dollar shipping fee to get his Purple Heart. The following is from the Huffington Post…
War comes with an incalculable human cost. And apparently a shipping fee of about $21.21. In some areas of the country the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has been caught banning the words “God” and “Jesus” during funeral services for veterans.
Retired Sgt. Major Rob Dickerson says that’s the price he was forced to pay when his Purple Heart — the medal issued to soldiers wounded in action — arrived at his door, C.O.D.
Instead of being awarded the military honor in a formal ceremony, the vet with 29 years in the service was handed his award, and a shipping invoice, by a FedEx deliveryman outside his Sioux Falls, S.D., home.
22. Today, the federal government provides “end of life” literature to veterans that helps them to determine when their lives are “no longer worth living“…
“Your Life, Your Choices” presents end-of-life choices in a way aimed at steering users toward predetermined conclusions, much like a political “push poll.” For example, a worksheet on page 21 lists various scenarios and asks users to then decide whether their own life would be “not worth living.”23. One study discovered that approximately one-third of all military veterans returning from Afghanistan and Iraq were officially determined to be mentally ill by government officials.
The circumstances listed include ones common among the elderly and disabled: living in a nursing home, being in a wheelchair and not being able to “shake the blues.” There is a section which provocatively asks, “Have you ever heard anyone say, ‘If I’m a vegetable, pull the plug’?” There also are guilt-inducing scenarios such as “I can no longer contribute to my family’s well being,” “I am a severe financial burden on my family” and that the vet’s situation “causes severe emotional burden for my family.”When the government can steer vulnerable individuals to conclude for themselves that life is not worth living, who needs a death panel?
24. All over America, “mental illness” is being used as a reason to take guns away from military veterans.
25. The federal government is increasingly labeling military veterans as “potential domestic terrorists” if they express viewpoints that are critical of the government. The following is from a recent article by John Whitehead…
Making matters worse, thanks to Operation Vigilant Eagle, a program launched by the Department of Homeland Security in 2009, military veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan are also being characterized as extremists and potential domestic terrorist threats because they may be “disgruntled, disillusioned or suffering from the psychological effects of war.” As a result, these servicemen and women–many of whom are decorated–are finding themselves under surveillance, threatened with incarceration or involuntary commitment, or arrested, all for daring to voice their concerns about the alarming state of our union and the erosion of our freedoms.Are you upset yet?
An important point to consider, however, is that the government is not merely targeting individuals who are voicing their discontent so much as it is locking up individuals trained in military warfare who are voicing feelings of discontent. Under the guise of mental-health treatment and with the complicity of government psychiatrists and law-enforcement officials, these veterans are increasingly being portrayed as ticking time bombs in need of intervention.
You should be.
The way that the federal government is treating military veterans is absolutely shameful.