Saturday, May 21, 2016

Heartwarming moment World War II veteran, 94, is reunited

Daily Mail ^ | 5/18/16 

Full title :Heartwarming moment World War II veteran, 94, is reunited with man he saved from Nazi concentration camp in 1945
A 94-year-old World War II veteran was reunited with one of the prisoners he helped liberate from the Dachau concentration camp.
Retired U.S. Army corporal Sid Shafner said he was among the first Allied troops to reach the Nazi camp in April 1945, and that he is the last surviving member of his unit.
His tearful reunion with Marcel Levy, 90, who was a teenager when he was liberated, came during a recent tour of Europe and Israel.
'You know, everything that I have today is because of you. You saved my life. Because you had the patience to speak to me, to take to me,' Levy said while holding Shafner's hand, according to WFAA.
'Don't praise me,' Shafner replied. 'If it wasn't me, it would have been someone else.'
The two old friends met on an Israeli military base during a trip organized by FIDF, a non-profit organization supporting Israeli troops.
The last time they saw each other was 1995.
'I have been in touch with him all these years. Through postcards, greeting cards, and now email on the computer,' Shafner, who lives in a retirement home in Denver, told WFAA.
(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...

T-Shirt