Thursday, February 4, 2016

Clinton defends Wall Street speaking fees: ‘That’s what they offered’!

The Hill ^ | 2/03/16 | Jonathan Easley

Hillary Clinton on Wednesday night defended accepting huge speaking fees from Goldman Sachs, arguing that it won't influence the way she treats the banking industry.

Speaking at CNN's Democratic presidential forum, anchor Anderson Cooper pressed Clinton on whether it had been a mistake for her to reel in more than $200,000 per speech for three speeches to the Wall Street giant.

"Look, I made speeches to lots of groups. I told them what I thought. I answered questions," Clinton said.

"But did you have to be paid $675,000?," Cooper asked.

"Well I don't know," Clinton responded. "That's what they offered."

The crowd burst into laughter as Clinton explained that "every secretary of State I know has done that."

Cooper shot back that usually the secretary of State is not preparing to run for president.

"To be honest I wasn't committed to running," Clinton said. "I didn't know whether I would run or not."

Clinton said she would not be influenced by the money.

"Anybody who knows me that thinks they can influence me - name anything they've influenced me on," she said. "Just name one thing. I'm out here every day saying I'm going to shut them down, I'm going after them, I'm going to jail them if they should be jailed. I'm going to break them up."

"They're not giving me very much money now, I can tell you that much," she said. "Fine with me."

Earlier in the night, Sanders said a super-PAC supporting Clinton for president had taken in $15 million so far from Wall Street donors.

Clinton claimed Wednesday night that 90 percent of the donors to her actual campaign were "small dollar donors."

T-Shirt