Saturday, July 18, 2015

Could biotin tame tinnitus?

www.bradenton.com ^ | July 14, 2015 | By JOE and TERESA GRAEDON 

Q: I wanted to share my experience with tinnitus. It's not incapacitating, but it is annoying. I found something that helps by serendipity.
My wife has hair loss. She takes levothyroxine (Synthroid) and liothyronine (Cytomel) because her thyroid was removed via radiation. She also takes biotin to lessen her hair loss.
I'm bald on top, but I thought I'd see if biotin would help grow new hair. It didn't.
What DID happen with the very first dose was total elimination of my tinnitus! A few hours after I take the biotin, the tinnitus returns, but at a much lower intensity.
A: Tinnitus is the perception of noise that no one else can hear: buzzing, whining, chirping or clicking noises. It becomes more common with age, as the nerves in the ear deteriorate, or it may be associated with noise-induced hearing loss.
Some people take biotin to improve nail strength. We were unable to find research linking biotin to tinnitus management, so you may have stumbled on something. This water-soluble B vitamin is considered reasonably safe.

Biotin Treatment Biotin, also known as vitamin H or coenzyme R, is a water-soluble B-vitamin. It is composed of a ureido ring fused with a tetrahydrothiophene ring. A valeric acid substituent is attached to one of the carbon atoms of the tetrahydrothiophene ring. Wikipedia Formula: C10H16N2O3S Molar mass: 244.31 g/mol IUPAC ID: 5-[(3aS,4S,6aR)-2-oxohexahydro-1H-thieno[3,4-d]imidazol-4-yl]pentanoic acid Melting point: 449.6°F (232°C) Soluble in: Water May treat: Alopecia, Inborn error of metabolism, Vitamin b deficiency May prevent: Nutritional and metabolic diseases

T-Shirt