Saturday, September 14, 2013

Fish Oil Supplements; Friend or Foe? May Boost Prostate Cancer Risk 70%!

Sept 14 2013 | Lee Martell

I saw the headlines last summer; July 11, 2013; U.S. scientists have confirmed a surprising 2011 study that found a higher risk of prostate cancer among men who consume high amounts of omega 3 fatty acids over an extended period of time. The research in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute reported a 71% higher risk for dangerous high grade prostate cancer among men who ate fatty fish or took fish oil supplements, which are often touted for their anti-inflammatory properties. "We've shown once again that use of nutritional supplements may be harmful," said Alan Kristal, researcher at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and senior author of the paper. Scientists are still puzzled as to why omega 3s appear linked to a greater risk of prostate cancer, but they said findings suggest they are somehow involved in the formation of tumors.
I was surprised at the report, to put it mildly. I had thought the benefits of fish oil supplements were beyond dispute. Hundreds of info-mercial hours have been produced and aired on tv and radio based on this one presumption alone. I think it all comes down to a matter of moderation, no more than 3 or 4 servings of fish products a week, or taking the fish oil tablet only a few times a week, and at low doses.
I used to have that amount of faith in other over the counter products, that I thought would get my arthritis under control. After using Glucosamine and it's partner mineral, Condroitin Sulfate daily for a few years, I saw zero benefit. My knees and ankles were still creaky, still prone to stiffness. I know some people who say those same minerals have 'given them their lives back'. Well, good for them, but I have only my experience to judge by. When I tried many other natural remedies to arthritis, including green tea, white tea, black and orange tea, I stopped buying them after a few years. I thought maybe the joint problems were made worse by digestive problems. Maybe I was lacking enough of a certain enzyme, a certain good bacteria. So I tried Blue Green Algae. Eventually, do you know what really helped with my joint pain (knowing it would never entirely go away)? I joined the local gym and tried to keep from blimping out when I stopped smoking (cigarettes). I lift a few weights, some free weights, some via machines. Then I spend about twenty minutes slowly cycling on a stationary bike. I feel better. I have given up thinking this exercise will help me actually lose weight. If anything, my body weight has gone UP since I began the lifting, (hopefully) most that is muscle weight. Even if I don't lose weight, I feel more flexible and my breathing is better too.
I do still take my garlic pills, one a day. That really has worked for me to bring down my blood pressure. My Grandad used to drink garlic water from a mason jar. I don't want to be known world wide for having garlic breath, so I stay with the pills. No more fish oil supplements for me though. I may eat fish two to three times a week if at all.

T-Shirt