Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Would Open Carry of Handguns Make You Feel Safer?

The Federalist Papers ^ | JUNE 4, 2013 | BY STEVE STRAUB 

A few days ago we asked if you would feel safe going into a business that had a sign that read “Guns are welcome on premises, please keep all weapons holstered unless need arises. In such a case judicious marksmanship is appreciated.”

1,524 of you replied and the comments below are representative of what most of you had to say about this issue:
  • BEST COMMENT – Here’s the thing with the people who believe it would be unsafe. In most states to carry a holstered gun in public, they must pass an extensive class of shooting accuracy, defensive shooting, and proper safety. Yes I’m sure there are people that haven’t gone through this, but these are the people who have a reason for not being legal. Your belief on gun control is your belief but I will say that in the properly trained hand a situation that involves an intruder can be controlled quicker than the police are able to get there.
  • BEST COMMENT – How about a sign at school’s “Faculty/staff/administrators are carrying firearms and are trained to use if the need arises”? I’m for it.
  • BEST COMMENT – I’m a teacher (33 years) and I would LOVE to have a gun in my room. I have a right to protect my students without endangering myself. I have a family, too!
    If I’m on one side of the room with a gun & my students are on the other side, the gunman would pay attention to me, not them.
  • The bigger question here is would a gun toting ,psychopathic, trigger happy freak feel safe if he decides he is having a bad day and wants to take out a few people at a local business? Uh, I think he would think twice after seeing this!
  • Israelis are safe in an unsafe world because many are heavily armed. Don’t feel safe around guns? Don’t go to Israel or to this shopping center. Israelis won’t miss you; neither will we.
  • My belief is simple. Arm every GOOD citizen. Teach them to be proficient shots. Educate them on the second amendment and check for understanding the fact, that we, the greatest country on earth, have guns to thank for our life styles and our freedom…. now think about this… how many of those 22 children in conn would have come home to their parents, had all the good people, (who are here today because their fore fathers carried guns) been “packin”….
  • Gun free zones are the most UNsafe place to be. The bad guys certainly know this. The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
  • Yes, safer than at school where I know there is no protection and anyone can and has just walked right in and hurt whomever they please without threat of return fire
  • Absolutely safe! Criminals will know there are citizens present who are armed and not afraid to us it, and families can enter knowing they are allowed to exercise their right to bear and use to protect. The store owner can be more at ease about thefts, and in providing a safer environment for all.
  • I wonder why the women who say they would not feel safe at this establishment feel that way? Should they feel unsafe at a police station where everyone is armed? Would they feel safer at a location that bans firearms? Those locations are targets for evil men with bad intent.
  • 100% in favor of open carry and conceal carry. It is a verifiable fact that there are less gun crimes and less home invasions where people are able to protect themselves and their property. The 2nd amendment was designed by the framers of this country to protect ourselves from tyranny. Enemies, both foreign and domestic beware. This is our right. Deal with it!
  • I would have my own CCL and feel even safer!!! When you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns!!! The mayor of New York City even has his armed body guards but wants to make it to where the average citizen can not carry a personal sidearm!!! What country was he born in?
  • ALTERNATE VIEW – Except of course that plenty of people have been shot by “Good guys” too. I’ve lost count of how many news stories I’ve read that end in “I didn’t know it was loaded”. Or, “My husband bought it for me and I forgot it was in my purse. I’m not afraid of competent gun owners. Its the stupid ones who shouldn’t even be driving a car, much less owning a deadly weapon that scare me.
About 5% of you said they would not feel safe going into a business like that, the comments below are representative of what that group had to say. There are only a few samples because most were about the same.
  • I’m sorry, but I would not be eating there. That’s too scary.
  • I certainly would not feel comfortable walking into place where it’s possible that everyone there is packing a gun. I think that is just stupid. Anything could happen in that environment.
  • I grew up with guns too. I was educated on the proper use of guns. A lot of people haven’t been. Can you imagine some couple gets in an argument there, they both pull out guns and start shooting, and everyone else pulls there guns not knowing who the bad guy is. Lots of people would be shot. I will steer clear, thank you very much.

All in all I was amazed that 95% of you would feel safe given all of the anti-gun media focus. It tells me that the anti-gun crowd is losing as far as the American people are concerned.

T-Shirt