Sunday, June 16, 2013

Baytown, TX mom punches, runs over robber who threatened her kids!

wfaa.com ^ | 15 June, 2013 | ANDREW HORANSKY

BAYTOWN, Texas -- A Baytown mother fought back – and won – when an armed robber threatened her and her two young sons, according to police.
Dorothy Baker was just driving home from CVS with her sons, ages 5 and 2, when a man crept up from the third row of their minivan with a knife.
He demanded money.
“So I asked him how much he needed and he said $200,” Baker said. “And I told him I didn’t have that kind of cash, I had about $20 in my account, and he said I better figure out a way to get it, or my kids were going to get hurt.”
Thinking fast and acting even faster, the mother of six ignored his request at one point to make a turn.
She said he then leaped up to the front row and realized she had dialed 911 on her cell phone. Instinct took over and she was able to rip the knife out of his hand.
She said she then pushed him to the passenger seat and punched him in the face, all while they were still moving.
“And I told him to get the hell out of my car,” she said. “And he said ‘fine.’ He got out and started running and the next thing I thought was if he gets away he can do this to somebody else.”
So she pursued him.
“He kind of ‘zagged’ and I turned, intending to clip him in the side or something to get him to stop,” she said. “And I ended up running completely over him.”
Baytown police identified the man as 53-year-old Ismael Martinez. He was taken to Memorial Hermann via Life Flight, where he was listed in stable condition.
Records reveal he served time in the TDC after a 1976 rape conviction.
Many people are praising the mom, who is now covered in scratches.
Baker does not see why.
“I see myself as a mom trying to protect her kids,” she said. “That’s it.”
She believes Martinez had spotted her family earlier in the day when they were at a Kroger across the street from the CVS.
She said he was smoking a cigarette and watching them, and that she recognized him the moment she saw him in her van.

T-Shirt