Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sheriff Arpaio: ‘I’ll Put up More Tents’ If Supreme Court Upholds Arizona Immigration Law


CNSNews.com ^ | April 30, 2012 | Penny Starr



(CNSNews.com) – If the Supreme Court decides in favor of Arizona’s tough immigration bill, the Obama attorney arguing against SB 1070 predicted “mass incarceration” of Latinos.

But Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio told CNSNews.com that he does not see that as a problem in his jurisdiction.

“We lock up people all the time,” Arpaio said in a phone interview last week. “Since I started enforcement, we’ve arrested on the streets, investigated – in our jails over 51,000.
“I didn’t see any problem, other than the fact that some activists and politicians in Washington (don’t) like me enforcing the illegal immigration law,” Arpaio said.
“And by the way, if they think that it will overcrowd the jails, I’m not concerned,” Arpaio said. “I got room in the tents. I got plenty of room.
“I’ll put more tents up,” Arpaio said. “So that should never be an excuse (that) you can’t house these people.”
As reported earlier by CNSNews.com, during oral arguments before the high court on the law – which allows state police to check the immigration status of individuals stopped, detained or arrested for other reasons – Solicitor General Donald Verrilli responded to Justice Antonin Scalia’s remarks that Arizona seems to be merely enacting laws that are already federal statutes.
“Well, what I think they are going to do in Arizona is something quite extraordinary, that has significant, real and practical foreign relations effects,” Verrilli said. “And that's the problem, and it's the reason why this power needs to be vested exclusively in the federal government.”
(Excerpt) Read more at cnsnews.com ...

T-Shirt