Sunday, May 27, 2012

My brothers

 by Dusty Road


I went to the wall in TX
To see a few old friends
My brother in arms in 71
I hope to make amends
Rondo came from TX
His father was a rancher.
Steve from New York City
His father was a teacher
Ricky was my Buddie
Another TX boy
We volunteered together
And headed off to war
Like our fathers did before us
We chose to volunteer
We knew it was out calling
And we did it without fear
In the A Shau it's called Bastogne
We landed with a roar
The whirling blades of Huey's
As we're jumping out the door
The 502 is now our home
Mud is now our bed
Dry spots are a comfort
A place to lay you head
The valley starts to tremble
When the big guns start to roar
We've got some men in trouble
Down on the valley floor
Charlie didn't like us
He proved it every day
He'd come at us in darkness
It was Charlie's way
Mortar rounds and RPG's
Rained upon the hill
To stand your post amongst it all
Was a testing of your will
Ricky was the first to leave
A sniper took his life.
He was sitting on a sand bag
Writing to his wife.
Rondo was the next one
A motor hit it's mark
The tracers from his 60
Were screaming through the dark
Steve was on the 8 inch
When he left that muddy hill
All my friends have left me
It's an overwhelming chill
I stand alone before the wall
It's granite hard and cold.
I share with you these words
For their stories must be told
Heroes all are on that wall
Their names are in the thousands
Names of those I've never met
But these three were my friends
I kneel before you Lord
With my hand upon the wall
Praying for my brothers
Heroes one and all
Dusty

T-Shirt